September 26th, 1917.
The preferences of the Board members seem to be divided between Boston and Chicago as to a meeting place, and "after the second week in October" as to time. Miss Breckinridge can only meet during a [weekend]. Everyone is agreed on the desirability of avoiding publicity which might so easily lead to misinterpretation.
May I make the following proposition, or rather transmit an invitation from the President of the Chicago Branch, Mrs. Wilmarth. She kindly suggests that we use her country house at Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, which she keeps open during October. It is a short ride from Chicago and she asks us to be her guests for the two days of the meeting.
I would suggest that we take a train leaving Chicago at 3:45 P.M., arriving at Lake Geneva at 5:20 P.M., on Friday, October 19th; that we hold a meeting at Mrs. Wilmarth's house on Friday evening, three on Saturday, October 20th, two on Sunday, October 21st, taking a train back to Chicago at 6:45 P.M., due in Chicago at 8:40 P.M., or staying over until Monday, October 22nd, if more convenient.
We would thus avoid all publicity and have a chance for uninterrupted conference. Mrs. Karsten could easily bring whatever we need from the office.
I do not wish to urge this plan unduly, but would remind you that the Board has not met in Chicago since June '16, and if we have an Annual Meeting it will probably be in Boston or one of the Eastern cities. The alternative plan would be Boston with approximately the same dates.
Will you kindly write at once expressing your preference as to plans, addressing Mrs. Karsten at the office, 116 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago.
I am most eager for a full and satisfactory meeting of the Board. A very perplexing situation has arisen since my last letter.